METRO CENTER FOR LIVER & DIGESTIVE DISEASES
Doctors and residents have long felt the need for quality medical care for disorders of the liver and digestive tract. Recognizing that patients with gastrointestinal disease have special requirements, the Metro Centre for Liver and Digestive Diseases was set up to provide high quality tertiary level services in gastroenterology and gastrointestinal surgery. Such services, as a cohesive unit, were so far provided only in a handful of India’s premier government institutions. The advantages of a “team” approach i.e. medical and surgical has been well documented in these units and the aim was to extend this to the private sector.
The center has a highly qualified team of doctors which is supported by state of the art equipment such as video endoscopes, laparoscopic surgical equipment, a well equipped ICU and operation theater with an image intensifier. Emergency and elective treatment can be provided for a wide range of liver and digestive disorders from the simplest to the most complex.
- Liver diseases are a prime focus area for the unit and large numbers of patients with acute and chronic liver disease (cirrhosis) due to hepatitis B, C and A and alcohol
- In addition to the management the medical team provides counseling and education to patients with liver disease related to alcohol, hepatic viruses and carriers for hepatitis B
- Management of liver failure and portal hypertention
- Treatment for acute and chronic pancreatitis
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding
- Esophageal disorders such as hiatus hernia, reflux motility disorders, varices
- Gastric and duodenal disorders such as peptic ulcer
- Intestinal and colorectal diseases including motility disorders, bleeding, malabsorbtion, infections, irritable bowel disease, colitis, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Diagnostic esophago-gastric and colonoscopy
- Therapeutic endoscopic management of upper (peptic ulcer, varices) and lower gastrointestinal bleeding
- Endoscopic gastrostomy
- Dilatation and stenting for strictured of the esophagus, stomach/duodenum and colon
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreaticography (ERCP) – diagnostic and therapeutic with extraction of stones, dilatation of strictures and placement of stents.
Health Awareness Services
- Vaccination for Hepatitis A & B
- Counselling for Alcoholic liver disease and hepatitis, and for liver transplantation.